Sunday, November 25, 2007

Magic and Loss

A title to a Lou Reed album that came out, I believe, in the early nineteen ninties. The last couple of days I've been introspective about how I relate to others and how fortunate I am to have the life I do have. Today, as an example, I ushered for the theatre and in the course of it came in a group of ladies (three little ones with their moms) and they all were dressed in their sunday best. One in particular caught my attention. She was the tallest and perhaps the oldest. She wore glasses and just had a sweet disposition about her. I found myself looking at her and reflecting back to when I was much younger and how life was this big wonderous thing out there and I had someone holding my hand, walking me through those days. I think that kids get to have the biggest adventures. They get to experience the world with eyes opened wide. Simple pleasures of life. I sometimes get caught up in the grown up world that I forget about the 'little ones' coming up. They are a constant reminder that while being a grown up is cool. Being a kid is truly our golden years in life (with a big smile). I miss being a daddy at this stage of my life. I don't miss being a husband. Kind of makes both impossible. Without one, the odds on the other one aren't very promising. Tomorrow never knows.

No comments: