Monday, November 19, 2007

What 'Love' is not...

I was doing my laundry down the street and in walks this couple who appeared to be about in their early forties (possibly late thirties with a very stressful life) and they proceed to launder. At least she did. I just continued to fold clothes and just listen and observe their character and communication traits. As I listened to their conversation, I realized that this small woman came across to me as being very uncomfortable and insecure. While the man was not terribly supportive (or even helpful with the laundry) he came across as not being too terribly bright in the bulbs. I understand more so now that some people tend to use love as an excuse to get married. Love should be unconditional regardless of one's marital status. What I was witnessing today was something not that came from love. It came from desperation. Some use love to get married to escape their loneliness and do it more so for that escape clause factor and less for love. It was a bit trying to listen to them as she talked to him and listening to him respond back to her with indifference or idiocy. She would speak in kind tone in one moment and be very short-fused in the next. He was the typical male that thinks of a woman as a possession and she probably was raised within that belief system as well. This quiet desperation in her every movement and word spoken. His almost completely non-existent emotions would probably only allow for him to emotionally react to... ANYTHING with some level of decency and understanding for this small woman. I fail to comprehend how one allows them self to be that demoralizing to another person and that other person simply accepts it in. I was disgusted by what I was witnessing between these two people. In those moments. I realized that people fail and ruin love by getting married and setting some definition of what 'love' should be to and for them.

No comments: