Monday, November 12, 2007

My BAD Seven Year Habit

So... How was your weekend? Mine was just peachy (sarcastically). Locked myself in the frame shop went into 'productive mode' and proceeded to cut forty-nine frames that we're building for a commercial project in Illinois. Slept in on sunday (obviously). Saturday, I went to the service/viewing for a theatre friend who died last weekend. Sunday was the memorial that the theatre hosted. Then came today, monday, got up to do my weekly volunteering at the theatre and I was quiet for the first couple of hours and then I started coming around. I'm helping with the set for 'A Christmas Carol'. Well, I was working on the one flat that needed some pieces cut to fill some of the gaps up above the doorway. I had cut some strips to create a framework for the board I was going to use on the face. So yeah, I'm using the table saw and cutting this one piece down and in a split second distraction, BAM!. The board is pulled through the saw faster than I had realized and I managed to get my right thumb pulled into the blade. Sound nasty? It is. It cut into the top of my thumb about halfway in and just above the top knuckle. I was swearing (and bleeding) profusely. I was rushed down to the mid-level / dressing room bathroom to run water over it and see to the extent of the damage. It was not pretty. One of the other volunteers working there was kind enough to get me over to the emergency room. The staff there took some x-rays (cut about halfway in... actually cut the tip of my thumb bone). and the spin on the saw managed to tear up a fair amount of flesh on the ball of my thumb pretty good. They numbed it up, cleaned it up and stitched me up and sent me on my way. So, for the time being, I have this bulky, gauze wrapped thumb that looks like one of Mickey Mouse's gloved fingers. It's not fun looking at all. I am learning quickly how useful the thumb is (in light of the fact that I can't really use this one for a while) in my daily life. Fortunately, I'm left handed so, this will not cause me to write like a two year old. It's reminding me that it's definitely there and while it doesn't hurt terribly, it kind of throbs. While it doesn't seem too bad (feeling) now, I can't wait until tomorrow (or, the next day). When this all happened, all I could think was how STUPID I was for that half a second... and this is what I get for it. Pain, inconvenience and my personal favorite, the medical bills and all the red tape crap that comes with it. It was said to me that the theatre would 'do something' to assist in that regard so, I'll talk with them tomorrow or wednesday and see what that 'something' is. Like every place of business and organization they have to have liability insurance for accidents that occur on their property. I'll find out more on that in the days to come. All I can say is, DAMN!!!

1 comment:

Korean Celt said...

I just tried posting and there was an error, but I basically said your boss sucks for not giving you health insurance, if that's the case and I hope your finger doesn't end up too mutilated once the bandage comes off.