Sunday, August 19, 2007

'12 A.M.' to 'Glass Figurines'

On Wednesday, I received a call back from the director of '12 a.m. (psst, 12 Angry Men) and went in to read once again. Once again, I felt good about how it went over all (the director did as well, I was told today). He called this afternoon to let me know that he had cast the show. I almost made the cut for juror #5 but, as he put it, '...someone else just edged you out for that part...'. A bit disheartened am I? Well, just a little but, you know what? I was thrilled that I was chosen for call backs on Thursday. He felt that my portrayal of that character was very good and that he certainly saw my ability and that is just as important to me as getting a role. It creates a reference point for the future that may allow me to be cast for something else in another production. It was suggested that I try out for 'A Christmas Carol' and think I will do so. The auditioning process is a bit uneasy for me but, not in a way that distracts me from my purpose... to audition. It's simply a necessary tension that in some cases, causes an auditioner to either cave or climb out and give a great audition. I gave two nights of great auditions. I will try again for 'A Christmas Carol' (probably in October).

On the other side, and this is a good thing, I will be helping with another show for SBCT, Tennessee Williams 'The Glass Menagerie' in the latter part of October with another director/friend. We talked back in April when I was stage managing for her for 'Zombies From the Beyond' and I will be at least stage managing if not assistant directing with her. So, I have something to do this fall regardless. Actually, in many ways, it will be more fun working with her show than 'Jurors' simply for the fact that we have a good friendship with one another. I'm looking forward to it, again.

One last note, non-theatre related. I went out for dinner this evening and saw a customer of the shop with whom we've done a number of pieces for over the last oh... five years. Well the last time he was in he looked very different. So much so I nobody recognized him... until he spoke. Some people have a very distinctive voice (much the same can be said of singers). Anyway, he was diagnosed with cancer about four months earlier and was going through chemo at the time (and he looked it too). Well, it was a bit disheartening when I asked this gentleman, '... do you have a son named Glenn Teer?... He responded, '...I am Glenn Teer'. He looked twenty years older in light of the treatments. Fast forward to this afternoon. I walked into 'Las Esperanza' for dinner and who I see... Glenn! We recognize one another and exchange greetings. He's doing and looking well these days. He said in parting, 'everyday that I can get up and enjoy another day is a good day'. I responded with, 'everyday above ground is a good day'. We agreed. It felt good again today... I am still above ground.

No comments: