Thursday, August 2, 2007

My Co-Dependency With Money

If I have one 'bad habit' it's the desire to have and spend money. I am the proverbial shopper. Over the years, I have certainly refined my approach to how I make and spend my money (i.e. different occupations/incomes and respectfully, from credit to cash-in-hand spending). I have not found any shortage of material things that I would like to call my own. I've simply applied a stronger discipline to the impulses of actually buying those things. Even at thirty-six, I'm still learning how to navigate the waters of my life. My care-free spending days are now coming back to haunt me, again. That other alleged debt with my name written all over it has taken a serious turn against me... a summons. I've been through this process once before so, while I'm a bit flustered over it, I'm calm and collected about how I will approach, deal and resolve this 'next round' with yet another credit card debt in my name. Fortunately, I am in a occupational/employment level in my life that does allow me to deal with these situations so that I may resolve these situations and still maintain a reasonable life. I have accepted the reality that I'm going to spend my mid-to-late thirties cleaning up the lousy choices that I made in my earlty-to-mid twenties. If this next adventure gets it's resolution, I will have, tentatively, paid back somewhere about twenty-four thousand dollars in two and a half years (that's eight hundred smack-a-roos a month). Not too shabby, eh? I also know myself well to know that this dark cloud hanging over my head is preventing me from pursuing any kind of social/romantic involvement with anyone (as I kiss my left hand, 'except my left hand shinning up the bat'). I'm still very reluctant to bare this part of who I am with someone that I would bare my heart and soul with. Funny how money overrides and rules my life. Perhaps, in my forties, I will return to a state of financial stability and even restore my subconscious mentality of being a stronger person than I feel to be in my thirties. Everything works out... still does.

1 comment:

Korean Celt said...

I don't think you should let your current situation prevent you from getting to know someone you're attracted to. If she's a woman worth her salt, she'll see that you're a person who made some bad decisions, but, thankfully learned your lesson and is now taking responsibilites for those mistakes and making them right. I think you'll find a good woman will see the good man and not the bad credit.