Saturday, July 21, 2007

Attached to Detachment

Today, as with the last couple of days, I'm feeling disconnected. Not bad or good, just here. The other night I did actually feel pretty good. The shop is in a good time in terms of business and framing to do (not too much). Commercial work is the reasoning for that (and that is suddenly expanding, especially with the university this summer). I just read that the city council has voted to rezone an area near the campus that will create another self-containing slant for the university to keep their student body centralized to the campus or, just barely off-campus. With any new develpoment, there are always pros and cons. The city sees it as creating new job opportunities. I have to disagree. What it will do is displace jobs that already exist in the community and simply move them to a location that is actually more condusive to the university. Commerce is a give and take thing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Something new means that something old is about to become extinct (see any dinosaurs around???). As I grow older, I get the sense that as a species we're simply trying to (and falling far short) of making any new advancements. Sure we're re-inventing things to make them 'better' but, at what price are we compromising well... ourselves? I admit, I tend to think a little too much about these things (i.e. social/political/enviornmental issues). I would rather think too much of them than to be completely oblivious to them (that would make me another 'bush-whacked' idiologue). Not going to happen... certainly not in this life. I aspire to live a more eco-friendly life and, with time, I will do so. I've been recycling since '94 (these days, my trash is dumped maybe once every three months... and that's a thirteen gallon trash can's worth). I conserve electricity and use it only as I truly need it. Air conditioning/heat get turned only when temperatures demand it to keep it comfortable (just to take the edge off). I drive a fairly fuel efficient car (I would prefer a hybrid... it's on the 'shopping list'... even better, electric). I use my utilites, in general, wisely. My eating habits have greatly improved over the last year and a half (thanks to my food poisoning spell in the spring of '06). Organic is the way to go. Fewer chemicals and just better quality of food. I sound politcally correct, don't I? Well, if it means living a better quality of life then, yes, I'm P.C.... kiss my non-existant ass! It's a sick world and I'm STILL a happy man.

1 comment:

Korean Celt said...

You damn tree-hugger. :-) Actually, my family and I were discussing yesterday the eventual demolition of the Notre Dame woods to accomodate the new Eddy Street complex, and we were very sad that about all the wildlife that will be displaced and killed because of it. I don't understand why they just don't tear down all the abandoned and boarded up houses in that area and just build in those spots.